There is a scene in A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles that would make anyone who has ever made the decision to buy rare wine cringe. Although the book is based on facts from Russian history, the part where the wine bottles are stripped of their labels is fiction. In its effect to explain one of the theories of Communism, making all of the wines the same is an unforgettable scene. The rare wines are no longer discernible from the less expensive sparkling wines, white wines, and red wines. The main character in the novel, an expert on everything that has to do with food food and good wine, is especially distressed.
People who buy rare wine know that understanding the label, the region where the wine comes from, and the age are key to knowing if this is the kind of wine that you want to invest in. Some people, for instance, might be partial to fine white wines with a certain kind of meal, but those who purchase wines as an investment want to know everything that there is to know about the wines that they purchase, the wines that they drink, and the wines that they serve to guests.
The Wine Industry Plays an Important Role in the High End Restaurant Business
There are a growing number of consumers who want to serve wine with their meals at home, and even more who want to indulge in a great bottle of wine when they are dining out. For this reason, there is a growing market for people who are buying rare wines across the world and for people who count some bottles of wine as some of their best investments. Consider some of these facts and figures about the wine market and the role that it plays in the nation’s economy:
- 949 million gallons of wine were consumed in the U.S. in the year 2016.
- 90% of all U.S. wine production occurs in the state of California.
- Drinking about two glasses of wine day is linked to an 18% drop in a person’s risk of early death, according to some of the latest research studies.
- 38% of the U.S. wine lovers indicate that their top choice is red.
- 32% of the U.S. wine lovers indicate that their top choice is white.
- By the year 2020, U.S. wine retail sales are expected to increase by 11%.
You do not need to be someone who is known for their interest to buy rare wine to appreciate finding the perfect wine match for an evening dinner out. In fact, there are many casual wine drinkers who love the chance to experiment and explore when it comes to finding the right after dinner drink.